On June 6, the Boston office of Greenberg Traurig hosted the Wharton Israel Conference “Spotlight on Israeli Innovation in Healthcare and Biopharmaceuticals” for Boston area biotechnology and pharmaceutical professionals with Israeli connections. Roman Fayerberg (Boston IP) gave the welcome remarks and Chinh H. Pham (Boston IP) moderated a discussion panel “From Idea to Implementation: A Focus on Israeli Innovation in Healthcare.” The panelists also included Andrea Yonah (U.S.-Israel Binational Industrial R&D (BIRD)), Oved Amitai, (Vice President, Alnylam Pharmaceuticals), Eilon Amir (VP, Outcome Capital), Yecheil Engelhard (Founder, Gecko Health (Teva)) and Alex Brown (Partner, Recon Strategy). The interactive panels addressed such topics as:
- Are Israeli investments and companies unique, and if so why?
- What do Israelis bring to the table in deals and investments?
- What is the benefit of starting an innovation center in Israel?
- Why has Tech been more successful in breaking into the U.S. market than Bio/Healthcare?
- What is needed from Israeli companies to make them more appealing to investors?
- What can the Boston and larger Biotech/Healthcare community do to get more involved in the innovation taking place in Israel?
The conference attendees also enjoyed networking opportunities before and after the panel.